Hi, I hope you are fit and fine,Lets talk about one more medicated product today , Loceryl 5% w/v Medicated Nail Lacquer. Anyone with a toenail or fingernail fungal infection is generally prescribed this product by the dermatologist as a last bid to treat the infection. Otherwise the last resort is to remove the nail and let the new and healthy nail grow. It is very common in case of fungal infections. So, let’s today talk about this and see whether it really works or not.
About the brand
Loceryl Nail Lacquer is a product of Galderma. Galderma S.A. is a pharmaceutical subsidiary specializing in the research, development and marketing of dermatological treatments was formed in 1981 as a joint venture between Nestlé and L’Oréal and became a wholly owned subsidiary of Nestlé in 2014.
Loceryl nail lacquer contains the active ingredient amorolfine, which is a topical antifungal medicine used to treat infections caused by fungi, yeasts and moulds.
Loceryl nail lacquer comes in one strength, 5% amorolfine (50 mg/mL) in an amber glass bottle.
Loceryl comes in a pack containing 1 bottle of 5 mL nail lacquer, 10 spatulas,
30 cleaning pads saturated with 70% isopropyl alcohol in foil packets and 30 nail files. It also comes a with a leaflet mentioning how to use, precautions, do’s and dont’s .
Loceryl nail lacquer contains 5% w/v amorolfine in the form of hydrochloride. Amorolfine is chemically described as cis-4-[(RS)-3[4-(1,1-Dimethylpropyl)phenyl]-2-methylpropyl]-2,6-dimethylmorpholine.
The other ingredients are: ammonio methacrylate copolymer A, triacetin, butyl acetate, ethyl acetate and ethanol.
Amorolfine nail lacquer is also available without a brand name, i.e. as the generic medicine.
Instructions to use
Loceryl should be used once or twice a week as prescribed by your doctor.
Step 1. Nail Filing
The kit comes with disposable nail files so before you apply it for the first time, file the nail surface properly concentrating on infected areas.
CAUTION: The nail files used to file infected nails should not be used on other healthy nails as it may infect them as well. Also make sure that you only use the given nail files and don’t let anyone else use it.
Step 2. Nail Cleaning
There are also alcohol soaked swabs provided in the loceryl kit, use one of them to clean the nail surface properly.
Step 3. Lacquer application
The kit comes with plastic applicators, take out one of them and dip it into the liquid in the bottle. Remember not to wipe the lacquer on the edge of the bottle.
Use the applicator to apply it evenly all over the infected nail surface. Close the loceryl nail lacquer bottle tightly and let your nail dry for 4-5 minutes.
Repeat all the above steps for each infected nail.
Step 4. Applicator Cleaning
The applicator that you used to apply the liquid is re-usable. But as it has touched the infected nail, it is advisable to clean it thoroughly.Clean it with the same alcoholic swab with which you cleaned your nail.
Follow the above steps as described above weekly or bi-weekly as prescribed by your doctor.
It is important to continue this treatment until the infection has cured and healthy nails have grown back. Depending on the intensity and localization of the infection, it usually takes about 6 months for finger nails and 9 to 12 months for toe nails.
Your doctor will review the progress every 3 months or so.Don’t be discouraged if after several weeks of therapy no improvement is visible. A healthy nail only grows by approximately 2mm per month.Co-existent tinea pedis should be treated with an appropriate antimycotic cream.
120 AED/ INR 450 for 5 ml
3 years from the date of manufacturing
Precautions / Word of Caution
- As it is a medicament, Ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice before taking any medicine.
- As there is no clinical experience available, no children should be treated with amorolfine 5% nail lacquer.
- Amorolfine 5% Nail Lacquer is only for the nail surface and should not be applied on the skin around the nail.
- Do not inhale.
- Avoid contact of Amorolfine lacquer with eyes, ears and mucous membranes (mouth or nose)
- Cosmetic nail lacquer may be applied at least 10 min after amorolfine 5% nail lacquer application. Before repeat application of amorolfine 5% nail lacquer, the cosmetic nail lacquer should be removed carefully.
- When completely dry, the nail lacquer is unaffected by soap and water, so you may wash your hands and feet as normal.
- If you need to use chemicals such as paint thinners or white spirit, rubber or other impermeable (waterproof) gloves should be worn to protect the lacquer on your fingernails.
- During the application of amorolfine no artificial nails shall be used.
- A systemic or local allergic reaction could possibly occur after use of this product. If this happens, the product should be stopped immediately and medical advice should be sought.
- The product should not be re-applied.
- You should not use Loceryl and tell your doctor if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant or are breast-feeding. Your doctor will then decide whether you should use Loceryl or not.
- Never give this medicine to anyone. The bottle is only for your use and It may harm someone even if the same may be same as yours.
- If you get Loceryl in your eyes or ears wash out with water immediately and contact your doctor, pharmacist or nearest hospital straight away.
- If you, or anyone else, accidentally swallows the lacquer contact your doctor, pharmacist or nearest hospital straight away.
- If you forget to use Loceryl, don’t worry.When you remember, start using the product again, in the same way as before.
- Do not stop using Loceryl before your doctor tells you to do so or else your infection could come back.
I had a toe nail fungal infection which I left untreated for almost a year. So my first visit to my dermatologist led me to this product. I religiously and consistently used it for almost two yrs. Initially I saw slight improvement, but It didn’t do much later on. All I can say is that the fungus didn’t spread to other parts of the nail but as far as the actual fungal infection is concerned, no improvement at all.
But here I must mention that the fungal infection varies from person to person. As I said earlier I didn’t pay much attention to the infection for almost one year. So maybe if used earlier , it can help in treating the affected finger or toenail.
Another big issue is the price of the product, It comes with a high price tag for such a small bottle. So Check for alternatives or generic drug.
Also if you are looking for a natural alternative to amorolfine, you can apply tea tree oil.
So I hope you find this review helpful.
Until next time.